Megan L. Brackney presented an ethics-based course, "Fixing Common Tax Problems", on October 8, 2015, for the first day of the two-day ALI event, Handling a Tax Controversy 2015: Current Trends in Civil Tax Controversies and Litigation.
The trusted tool for tax practitioners, Handling a Tax Controversy 2015 provides insights and practical strategies on all aspects of handling federal tax controversies. The outstanding faculty - including U.S. Tax Court judges, current and former senior government officials, and top U.S. and foreign tax controversy practitioners - explores the following topics and more:
- Current issues at IRS examinations and appeals
- Future of international information sharing
- Handling FOIA requests and litigation
- Current issues in TEFRA partnership exams
- Courtroom technology strategies and expert witness tactics
- Litigating FBAR and tax fraud cases in U.S. District Court
What you will learn
To handle a federal tax controvery successfully, the sophisticated practitioner must possess skills in two distinct areas: administrative practice and tax litigation. This course devotes an entire day to each.
Join us at this nationally recognized program, where a prestigious panel of tax practitioners, Tax Court and Federal District Court judges, and government official comprehensively guide you through the life cycle of a federal tax controversy. Get a complete update on critical issues and trends, as well as expert tips on how to represent your clients effectively through all of the stages of a tax dispute. Enjoy the always popular trial demonstrations and hone your skills from start to finish.
- Current issues in IRS examinations
- International information sharing
- Best practices for case resolution at exams
- Current issues at IRS appeals
- CDP and bankruptcy options
- FOIA from requests to litigation
- Best practices in the Tax Court stipulation process
- Expert witnesses and courtroom technology (mock trial demonstrations)
- The role of judicial doctrines
- FBAR and fraud penalties
For more information and additional events click here